Monday, March 7, 2011

The Pending War in Libya

I was having a discussion about going to war in Libya, before tonight's news broke, with a liberal.  His belief was that we should not only do the no fly zone but also take out ground targets.  I had to remind him that killing people was an act of war and that the rebels are only unified because of a common enemy.  When they win we would have Afghanistan.  So, I said we should stay out.  He asked what I thought would happen.  I said that we would get a toe hold in the country through supplying humanitarian aid delivered by the US military.  Then the mission will creep forward until we are at war in the country.

I was on my way home and they announced that President Obama had pledged $15 million in humanitarian aid.  We'll have to watch how this unfolds.

If you are for intervention you should be pushing for the neighboring countries to do it without our help.

No comments:

Post a Comment